The third and current Mace of the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia made its first official appearance in the Chamber on February 17, 1954 for the opening of the second session of the 24th Parliament. Entirely handmade by Jefferies & Company, Victoria silversmiths, from native British Columbia silver, it is plated with 24 carat gold and weighs 11 pounds. The traditional design has a long shaft topped by a deep bowl surmounted by a representation of St. Edward’s Crown and the Royal Cypher. The bowl bears the coats of arms of Canada and British Columbia, and four embossed scenes depicting the province’s forestry, fishing, farming and mining industries, similar to those shown in murals painted on the ceiling of the Upper Rotunda of the Parliament Buildings in Victoria.
British Columbia’s first mace, made by Mr. C. Bunting in gilded, carved wood, with a carved crown and Grecian cross, was in use from February 17, 1872 until 1897. The second mace was first used on February 10, 1898 at the opening of the present Parliament Buildings and was made of brass by Winslow Brothers of Chicago. Three earlier maces are known to have been used in the colonies of Vancouver Island and British Columbia prior to the province joining Confederation in 1872.
Legislative Assembly of British Columbia